E-Commerce Disruption Pushes Ag Retailers to Focus on Distribution and ServiceFebruary 2019 - Will Secor
- E-commerce remains a relatively small but growing segment of the overall agricultural retail marketplace.
- Online ag retail startups are compressing margins for traditional ag retailers through increased competition and price transparency.
- E-commerce platforms that lack a physical footprint will struggle to fully serve farmers, especially in the tight and uncertain time windows endemic in production agriculture.
- Traditional ag retailers are doubling down on their competitive advantages while building their online presence.
- An omni-channel strategy will be necessary for ag retailers to survive and grow in the digital age. This strategy requires investing in technologies to allow multiple avenues for farmers to interact with an ag retailer including through an online platform.
Agriculture & Agribusiness
Subscribe to Reports
If you’re a customer of CoBank and would like to receive the latest Knowledge Exchange reports, please take a moment to provide us with your contact information and area of interest.